Thursday, August 30, 2007

Really Sad Fiction-Writing Songs

This went up in the first weeks that my website became operational. Those "Play Counts" have gone way up since then. And the novel's still not finished.


Content. I've got to get some content up on this motherfucker. I've got to get eyeballs to my site and then keep them. The more you come here, the cooler you will think I am, and, next thing you know, you're clicking on the little rectangle on the (in the?) lower right-hand corner of this page, thinking, “This guy is pretty funny; let's see what's up with the book.”

So...back to “content.” I'm writing fiction nowadays because, apparently, there's no money to be made in poetry. Who knew? Where was I when that memo came down? The plan, now, is to make a pile of cash by writing short stories, because I'm assuming there must be tons of green to be made in short fiction. Also, there's a novel in the works. Of course there is.

When I'm writing fiction, I listen to music on iTunes, specifically to a playlist entitled “Really Sad Fiction-Writing Songs.” I thought that it would be cool to share with you, interested reader, the thirty most played songs from that list.

Song

Artist

Play Count

I Do Love You

Billy Stewart

100

Blues Run the Game

Jackson C. Frank

93

Maybe

The Chantels

92

Let's Stay Together

Al Green

80

Lotta Love

Neil Young

79

After the Love Is Gone

Earth, Wind & Fire

78

Tears Are in Your Eyes

Yo La Tengo

73

Naked As We Came

Iron & Wine

60

Passionate Kisses

Lucinda Williams

51

Hey There Lonely Girl

Eddie Holman

44

Tugboat

Galaxie 500

44

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me

Mel Carter

43

Walk On By

Seal

42

How Sweet

Leona Naess

41

New Slang

The Shins

39

A Minor Incident

Badly Drawn Boy

35

Hurt So Bad

The Lettermen

34

Before Today

Everything But the Girl

28

The Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me)

David Ruffin

22

Weary Memory

Iron & Wine

22

If I Were a Carpenter

Tim Hardin

22

I Confess

The English Beat

20

Bird Stealing Bread

Iron & Wine

20

It's Gonna Take a Miracle

Deniece Williams

19

Leader of the Band

Dan Fogelberg

17

Sunset Soon Forgotten

Iron & Wine

17

Both Sides Now

Judy Collins

16

Cherry Chapstick

Yo La Tengo

16

So. Central Rain

R.E.M.

14

Don't Leave Me This Way

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes

11



There's nothing too embarrassing on there, I don't think. I know, you're wondering about the Dan Fogelberg, thinking, "That's not embarrassing?" I first heard that song when I was a little kid, and I loved it then. It's in the genetic code now, and it's impossible to be objective about it. Also, you probably noticed that there's a lot of Iron & Wine on here. That guy's a genius.

No comments: