Monday, September 10, 2007

Really Sad Fiction-Writing Songs, Version Two

I have no idea how old this list is, but it must be pretty old if I was still writing fiction on a regular basis. Probably some time in late 2005.

So I'm sitting here at the local Starbucks (they have a T-Mobile Hotspot; get off my back), listening to some music on my iBook and trying to get some writing done, when it occurred to me that it had been a while since I listed the songs that currently make up, “Really Sad Fiction-Writing Songs,” the playlist I listen to when I'm trying to write. Here they are, ordered by play count.

Key: Song - - - - -Artist- - - - -Play Count

I Do Love You - - - - -Billy Stewart - - - - -136
Blues Run the Game - - - - -Jackson C. Frank- - - - - 130
Maybe - - - - -The Chantels - - - - -119
Lotta Love- - - - - Neil Young - - - - -109
Let's Stay Together- - - - - Al Green - - - - -109
Blues Run the Game- - - - - Simon & Garfunkel - - - - -106
After the Love Is Gone- - - - - Earth, Wind & Fire - - - - -104
Tears Are in Your Eyes- - - - - Yo La Tengo - - - - -101
Tears All Over- - - - - A Girl Called Eddy - - - - -86
Tugboat - - - - -Galaxie 500 - - - - -85
Naked As We Came- - - - - Iron & Wine - - - - -80
Hey There Lonely Girl- - - - - Eddie Holman- - - - - 77
Passionate Kisses - - - - -Lucinda Williams - - - - -76
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss- - - - - Me Mel Carter - - - - -73
Walk On By - - - - -Seal - - - - -71
How Sweet- - - - - Leona Naess - - - - -69
A Minor Incident- - - - - Badly Drawn Boy - - - - -64
Isn't It a Pity- - - - - Galaxie 500 - - - - -63
I Can't Make Me- - - - - Butterfly Boucher - - - - -61
Hurt So Bad - - - - -The Lettermen- - - - - 61
New Slang - - - - -The Shins - - - - -60
I Haven't Got Anything Better to - - - - -Do Dee Dee Warwick - - - - -59
I Confess- - - - - The English Beat - - - - -54
Flowers- - - - - Galaxie 500 - - - - -53
Don't Leave Me This Way - - - - -Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - - - - -53
Before Today- - - - - Everything But the Girl - - - - -48
The Whole World Ended - - - - -David Ruffin - - - - -47
Bird Stealing Bread - - - - -Iron & Wine - - - - -45
If I Were a Carpenter - - - - -Tim Hardin- - - - - 45
It's Gonna Take a Miracle- - - - - Deniece Williams - - - - -44
Weary Memory - - - - -Iron & Wine - - - - -43
Before We Begin - - - - -Broadcast - - - - -42
Tea and Sympathy - - - - -Janis Ian - - - - -42
Leader of the Band- - - - - Dan Fogelberg - - - - -41
Both Sides Now - - - - -Judy Collins - - - - -38
Keep On Loving You - - - - -REO Speedwagon - - - - -37
Come Undone- - - - - Duran Duran - - - - -35
Sunset Soon Forgotten- - - - -Iron & Wine - - - - -34
So. Central Rain- - - - - R.E.M. - - - - -33
Save Me - - - - -Aimee Mann - - - - -32
Cherry Chapstick- - - - - Yo La Tengo - - - - -32
I Can See Clearly Now- - - - - Johnny Nash - - - - -27
Casimir Pulaski Day- - - - - Sufjan Stevens- - - - - 27
No Tengo Nada Mejor- - - - - Astrud Gilberto - - - - -22
Till I Gain Control Again- - - - - Emmylou Harris- - - - - 20
After The Goldrush- - - - - Neil Young - - - - -20
Lion's Mane - - - - -Iron & Wine- - - - - 14
Always On My Mind- - - - - Willie Nelson - - - - -12
Things Behind The Sun- - - - - Nick Drake 11
Together- - - - - Tierra - - - - -11
From The Morning- - - - - Nick Drake - - - - -10
Pink Moon - - - - -Nick Drake - - - - -9
The Blower's Daughter - - - - -Damien Rice - - - - -7
Baggage- - - - - Eva Cassidy - - - - -7
Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair - - - - -Burl Ives - - - - -6

No comments: